Hello, and welcome to the Windgate Museum of Art. We are delighted you are here to learn more about what is happening at the art museum on the Hendrix College campus.
The vision of the Windgate Museum of Art is to be the premier teaching art museum in Arkansas. We are excited to present outstanding art exhibitions, compelling educational programs, and invigorating social activities for students, faculty, staff, and the community. Please follow us on Instagram and Facebook, and visit this website for regular updates. Stay tuned for more great exhibitions and programs from the WMA!
– Christian Cutler, Director/Curator
Please review the sections above and below, including dates closed, for important information if you wish to visit the museum.
Summer hours begin July 28th from 12 – 5 p.m., Wednesday – Saturday.
Sunday & Monday Closed
Please note that the museum follows the Hendrix College calendar, and will be closed on all school holidays and summer break. The Hendrix academic calendars have a comprehensive list of holidays and closures: 2022-2023, 2023-2024.
Directions and Parking
For easiest access to the Windgate Museum of Art (building #3 on the campus map), we recommend parking in the lot at the Dawkins Welcome Center (building #1 on the campus map) at the northeast corner of campus, just off the Harkrider-Winfield roundabout, where there is plenty of visitor designated parking.
From the Dawkins Welcome Center, take the paved walkways diagonally to the southwest onto campus toward the three-story Miller Creative Quad, in which the Windgate Museum is housed. The museum is on the ground floor of the north wing of the building. You will enter through the doors on the right as you approach the building walking west.
For those wishing to be dropped off closer to the building, there is a paved driveway from the Dawkins Welcome Center to a small loading area along the north side of the museum building. There are also two Windgate Museum designated parking spaces which may be used by those needing parking nearest to the museum. From this small loading and parking area, the museum can be accessed via the paved path on the west side of the building to the main entrance on the left between the two wings of the building.
The Windgate Museum of Art strives to provide a warm and friendly environment to all visitors.
We are committed to ensuring that the WMA’s facilities, services, exhibitions, and programs comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. We make reasonable accommodations to ensure that people with disabilities have equal physical and communications access, as defined by federal law.
Please note that our efforts to make our website, programs, and museum more accessible are ongoing. If you have specific questions or concerns that are not addressed on this page, please call 501-328-2386 or email email@example.com in advance of your visit.
Accessible parking is located on the north side of the building. Wheelchair ramps are located at the northeast and northwest sides of the building.
Inside the Museum
The Windgate Museum of Art is located on the ground floor of the Miller Creative Quad. The floors in the lobby and galleries are polished concrete; other public spaces are covered in low-pile carpet or composite tile. Museum stools are available upon request. Ask at the Information Desk for assistance in locating them.
All public areas of the museum are wheelchair accessible. The WMA is a barrier‐free location, with doorways, hallways, galleries, program spaces, water fountains, restroom stalls, sinks, and faucets accessible to wheelchairs and assistive walking devices.
Sign Language Interpretation
Upon request, the museum can provide American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation for specific programs and for guided tours. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week in advance of the program or tour date.
Education staff will work with individuals and groups who disclose accessibility needs in advance to accommodate them to the best of our ability.
Visiting the Museum with Small Children
Mothers may breastfeed their children anywhere in the museum. If you prefer a private space to nurse, one will be provided on request at the front desk. There is a diaper changing table located in one of the restrooms as well. Space for stroller parking is available just inside the front door (see Bag Policy). The museum does not provide strollers.
All our restrooms are gender-neutral and are located in the Lobby and Gallery A.
Certified service animals are welcome. Please notify an Information Desk attendant of the presence of your service animal. You will need to provide a copy of your certificate for verification.
A first aid kit is available at the Information Desk. Please inform the Information Desk attendant in case of a health emergency.
Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the museum. Ask for the network name and password at the Information Desk.
The average temperature in the museum is 68–72 degrees Fahrenheit, which some visitors find chilly; you may wish to bring a sweater or light jacket.
The museum’s fire alarms operate with both visual and audible signals, and museum staff will assist visitors with disabilities in the event of emergency evacuation of the building.
Welcome to the Windgate Museum of Art—we are so glad you are here! During your visit:
- Share your visit by tagging the museum on Instagram: @windgatemuseum.
- Please don’t touch the art! Help us protect the art and objects on display by not touching the art, leaning on walls or pedestals, or running through galleries.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the galleries. A drinking fountain is located by the restrooms in Neely Gallery.
- Flash photography, tripods, selfie sticks, extension cords, and other special equipment are not permitted. Photography of works of art in exhibitions is generally permitted unless otherwise noted.
- Backpacks or any bag bigger than 16 x 16 inches may be left at the Information Desk during your visit. Please take personal items (phones, wallets, etc.) with you—do not leave personal items unattended. The museum reserves the right to inspect any bag or parcel brought into the premises. The museum is not liable for any lost, missing, stolen or damaged items.
- Coats may be left at the Information Desk.
- As a courtesy to other visitors, please set your phone to vibrate and take calls outside of the galleries.
- The WMA welcomes all visitors and strives to be accessible to everyone. All public areas of the museum are wheelchair accessible. If you need assistance, please ask at the Information Desk. For more information on accessibility, please visit our accessibility section here.
- Sketching is permitted and encouraged! Please use notebooks 11 x 14 inches or smaller and pencils. Colored pencils and ink pens are not allowed in the galleries.
- If you believe you have lost an item at the museum, please call us at 501-328-2386, email us at email@example.com, or visit the Information Desk in the Lobby.
- All our restrooms are gender-neutral and are located in the Lobby and Neely Gallery.